Hello all, I’ve been rather busy with work and getting back on my feet the last few weeks, but I have also been sewing when time’s allowed, so I thought I’d do a round-up of a few things I’ve made…
First up is the Itch to Stitch Anza Jumpsuit, which I wore to The Great British Sewing Bee Live… check me out hanging around with Patrick and Esme! 😉
As I’ve found so far with Itch to Stitch patterns, the sizing and fit is great. I cut a size 2D and graded it out to a 4 just over my hips and thighs, then down to a 0 for the lower legs. Next time I make it, I’ll also lengthen the bodice by about an inch.
The fabric I’ve used is a gorgeous, drapey, soft crepe from Sew Over It. It was admired several times at The Bee and several people asked to touch it – where else would you allow complete strangers to have a feel of your clothes?!
I had a couple of nightmare moments: I managed to cut right through the elastic casing when I was trimming it down and had to bodge a bit of extra fabric over it to hold it all together! (Good job it’s a busy pattern!) And then my machine decided, more than once, that it didn’t want to align the buttonhole stitches and ran on too far. SO frustrating when you’re on the home-run, but thankfully it’s navy on navy so it’s not too noticeable.
I met up with the lovely SewNeedy at The Bee and we spent a wonderful day, with a couple of other sewing friends, wandering around, stroking fabric, nattering about sewing, and generally soaking up the atmosphere. It was a brilliant day out and I’m already looking forward to the next one in June. By the way, don’t the others all look amazing in their hand-made dresses?! Such talented ladies.
Sew Over It Coco Jacket #2
I’ve already written about my first Coco so I won’t go into too much detail. I squeezed this one out of less than a meter of some left over denim, and had to cut the back sleeve across the grain, but that doesn’t seem to have had any adverse effect, as the denim’s not stretchy. I also had to make the sleeves about 4cm shorter to get it all to fit on!
I decided not to line it, but instead made Hong Kong Seams to keep it all neat inside, and I also combated the slightly-short sleeves by using bias binding to give them a teeny hem. I added a zip into this one, as my wool Coco tends to fall open, and made facings from some left over wool-mix fabric: I used the front panels from the pattern, plus a self-drafted neck facing.
It all came together rather well and I’ve already worn it loads.
Sew Over It Molly Dress
I don’t quite know why I haven’t got round to making a Molly from the SOI City Break eBook before. It might be because I was looking for THE perfect fabric – I wanted something with stripes to show the change of direction on the sleeves, but didn’t want anything too stripey! (I have nothing against stripes, I just like to be a bit different!). I came across the Art Gallery Paparounes Crimson and fell in love with it, but kinda felt that it’s a bit summery… then a lovely seller on Etsy sent me a link to the new autumnal colourway ‘Spices’ and I knew that was THE ONE. Art Gallery fabrics aren’t the cheapest, but they are such lovely quality and SO soft to wear.
I cut a size 10 and graded it to an 8 at the waist, then machine tacked it to check the fit (something I don’t normally do, but wanted to get this dress just right and I certainly didn’t want to be unpicking a zig-zag stitch!). I left the shoulders, sleeves, and bust at that size, then graded it by another inch and a half at the waist to make it more fitted, and then back out to an 8 from the hips down.
It’s still a fairly loose fit around my waist, as is the style, but it means I can wear it as is for comfort, or add a belt if I want to nip it in a bit more.
I love it!
I’m now working on a rather interesting Maven French Dart Shift Dress, the pattern for which I picked up at GB Sewing Bee Live, so watch this space for a review coming soon…!