I bought this stunning silk from Sew Over It a few weeks ago, but decided (for once!) that I wouldn’t rush straight into it and instead find THE perfect shirt/blouse pattern for it.
I’d already made the short-sleeve version of the Deer and Doe Melilot Shirt, which I’d purchased as a kit from the lovely Lauren of Guthrie & Ghani at The Great British Sewing Bee Live. The fabric is their fabulous Botanical Garden Cotton Lawn. I made a size 40, but graded it to a 38 at the waist, to give a bit more shaping there. It sewed up a dream with French Seams to keep everything neat, and I particularly love the sleeves, as there’s no easing required! It has a gorgeous curved hem, which I drafted a facing for, as I know it’s tricky to hem curves.
It’s great to be worn tucked in or left out and, although it’s a bit chilly for it right now, it’s going to be lovely to wear in the summer. Here are a few pics of it finished…
As much as I love this blouse, I felt that I might like a half-length placket at the front for my silk blouse, and I came across the Itch to Stitch Mila Shirt. So, rather than cutting straight into my silk, I was very good and made a wearable toile with some cotton-linen I had in my stash from Fabworks. I made a size 2C graded to a 0 at the waist (I’m 37”,28”,38” and 28GG for reference). It has a front and back yoke that’s constructed using the Burito method – which always scares me! – but thanks to the clear instructions it turned out as it should. The construction of the rest of the shirt was pretty straight-forward, even though there were LOADS of pieces to the pattern, and the folding and making of the front placket was a really good learning curve.
I’m really pleased with the shirt… but it’s a much more relaxed fit than I’m used to and I feel it hides my waist, so it’s not really what I was looking for for my silk. That said, it’ll be great for casual days or for layering under a jumper.
I then did a full circle back to the Melilot, seeing as I loved the fit so much, and thought I’d have a go at the long-sleeve version with some simple white cotton lawn I’d got from Fabworks. The sleeves are brilliant on this pattern! They have a lovely detail at the cuffs with pleats and small placket (interesting construction and another new skill learned – bonus!) but aren’t overly fussy and, again, there’s no easing required! I also like how it good it looks done right up to the collar, so it gives options of making it look smarter or more casual.
So that was my decision made: A long sleeve Melilot Shirt in my beautiful Sew Over It silk, with a faced hem… and I’m not afraid to say that I absolutely LOVE how it’s turned out!
Here’s a close-up of the cuffs, just ‘cos they were fiddly and I’m a bit chuffed with them…!
I wore it out for a meal last night, with some Boden trousers, to celebrate our eldest niece’s 21st birthday – Happy Birthday, Boo! – and it was so comfy and received some lovely compliments.
Anyway, I won’t babble on any more, I’ll just share a few photos of it tucked in and left out, and with my usual ‘hand on hip’ posing efforts!